LHVnews: Britain's transport ministry says it is working with Egypt to ensure that flights could bring back British tourists from Sharm el-Sheikh after one airline said it had been refused permission by Egypt to fly some of its planes there.
"We are urgently working with the Egyptian authorities to try to ensure planned flights leave Sharm today," a spokesman for Britain's Department for Transport said.
Earlier, the easyJet airline said just two of its 10 planned flights had been given permission to fly out of Egypt. This comes as Egypt's civil aviation ministry said the resort's airport was being limited by its capacity.
"Flying out thousands of people on one day is incredibly hard. Everyone has to go through the procedures. We have not cancelled any flights but the airport cannot handle all these planes at once," Egypt's civil aviation ministry spokesman said.
Now reports say an easyJet plane with about 165 British passengers on board left Sharm el-Sheikh on Friday in the first flight to repatriate tourists stranded in the Egyptian resort.
Britain had on Wednesday suspended all flights to and from the resort over concerns a crashed Russian plane which flew out of Sharm may have been brought down by a bomb, but British flights were allowed to resume Friday with special security measures.